Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Kegger


I’m going to a kegger Saturday night.

There. I said it. Seven words that I erroneously believed were extinguished from my vocabulary. Surprisingly (nostalgically? chemically?), I’m looking forward to it.

Keggers are the big brother of lemon aide stands. Like all kids, I operated the latter a few times. And, like most all kids, I failed to make a dime. With a pit stop chucking newspapers, throwing a kegger was my first true entrepreneurial activity. (And, now that I think about it, the most illicit and illegal for-profit thing I’ve done.)

My friend Dave, who’s out from Philadelphia visiting his family, is going to join me, though he’s yet to admit it. We’re going to navigate the mean streets of Davis on bike to minimize bodily damage. Dave and I enjoyed and threw a few hundred too many keggers in the '80s. As proprietors, we’d pencil together a flyer (this was eons before cell phones or myspace or instant messaging), select a remote location (typically a flock of trees in a distant field; the perfect, one-road-in location for police to trap you), hustle a keg or two from a friend with a fake ID, and sell cups. Three bucks a pop.

What can an entrepreneur learn from a kegger? For starters, keggers are:

  • Viral: Word spreads quickly and economically (read: free).
  • Scrappy: Materials (paper and pens for flyers; plastic cups; a few bags of ice; a tap; and, a keg) are readily available and cheap, and the launch (throwing the party) is simple.
  • Fertile: Keggers have sired many derivatives (complementary products and services): beer bongs, the games of quarters and chandeliers, keg stands, beer pong, slosh ball.
  • Social: People affably convene and interaction is fostered around a central product (the keg).
  • Memorable: Successful entrepreneurs are good storytellers. Keggers = stories = memories.
  • Enterprising: There are 165 12-ounce beers in a 15.5-gallon keg. Do the math.

My seven-year-old just peeked at my PowerBook. Dad, what’s a kegger? It’s, um, well, um, a party for mommies and daddies. Can I go?

No, and you’re not allowed to throw a kegger, unless you’re exercising your entrepreneurial creativity.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Yeah baby!! Two wheels and a belly full of beer. What more could two, damn near 40 year olds want on a Saturday night. Coordinating the kitchen pass right....NOW!!!

Dave