Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pooh on entrepreneurship

I just reminisced about my dad’s first book, The Waring Blender. Post post publishing, I rediscovered an excerpt that reminded me of our observations of a few weeks ago (e.g., if you throw something away and there is no away, where is away?). My page-turning discovery was similar to the feeling of slipping into a well-worn pair of flip-flops bleary-eyed in the dark. Here’s the chortle-packed and paradoxical-full prose:

LINES WRITTEN BY A BEAR OF VERY LITTLE BRAIN

On Monday when the sun is hot
I wonder to myself a lot:
Now is it true, or is it not,
That what is which and which is what?

On Tuesday, when it hails and snows,
The feeling on me grows and grows
That hardle anybody knows
If those are these or these are those.

On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
And I have nothing else to do,
I sometimes wonder if it’s true
That who is what and what is who.

On Thursday, when it starts to freeze
And hoar-frost twinkles on the trees,
How very readily one sees
That these are whose – but whose are these?
The source? A.A. Milne’s Winne-The-Pooh, 1926. My dad continues (his prose, not Pooh):
One of the problems with scientists is that they always tell the truth. They answer questions with yes or no. They are ignorant of the value of the modifier called “adverb.” Their brains are tooled with concepts like cause and effect, hypothesis, statistical probability, absolute right and wrong, and other facets of what is generally known as “The Scientific Method.”
Reminds me that, nearly 100 blog posts deep, entrepreneurship is – for Pooh reasons and much else -- the art of business. Entrepreneurs question what is which and which is what, if those are these and these are those, if who is what and what is who, and if these are whose, but whose are these? Entrepreneurs are story (not truth) tellers, non-binary thinkers ambivalent of facts and probability and methods. Long live fairy tellers.

No comments: