Thursday, September 27, 2007

POTW: Seth Godin on Finding the Long Tail

Quick and terse POTW from Seth Godin. He chimes in about Finding the Long Tail (in stocks). I think he confused Long Tail with Wisdom of the Crowds. The latter encapsulates the accuracy and efficacy of collaborative, not silo-based know-it-all, decisions; the former is a brilliant take on the efficiency and mass of "tail" markets. Love them both.

Seth's post reminded me of two recent experiences, one a lunch with A VC friend, the latter a networked angel-fund-in-creation. My VC amigo is analogous to the analysts portrayed in Seth's piece: They're almighty, they know it (or most of it) all, and they know it. The fund is the opposite: It relies on the collective wisdom and input of non experts to make decisions. I'll bank on many minds any day. Especially when I'm banking my own money and time.

No comments: